It’s Power Ballad Thursday. Not every Thursday meets the criteria, but for some reason this one does, so it’s time to go back twenty-five years and rock the house.
There will probably be an obnoxious ad playing before the video, sorry about that, but it’s worth it… this one has it all:
- The dizzying jump cuts denying your eyes the chance to focus.
- The power guitar-playing even when there doesn’t seem to be a guitar line in the music.
- The abandoned theater motif.
- The rocker hair, oh yes, Aqua Net that shit to the stars.
- The oh-so-sultry narrow band of light across the eyes… hold still! hold still!
- Nancy Wilson on a horse. In an abandoned theater. Because, of course.
But the real draw here is the actual song. Written by two guys who, judging by the lyrics, have serious stalker issues, Alone manages to be emo, triumphant, creepy, and gloriously out-of-control enough to have been recorded by both John Stamos and Celine Dion.
If you really want to be epic, introduce this song to your kids someday when they’re wondering what to use for a dance recital. Male or female, doesn’t matter… just go for the big hair, and rent a fog machine.